- On April 3, 2017 the site where the symbol was created by George Laurer in the early 1970s was recognized by the City of Raleigh (artifact 187) and a Plaque (artifact 188) recognizing that was placed in the lobby. The ceremony is available on YouTube.
- Barry Franz, member of the Symbol Selection Committee, donated the documentation of the logic used for selecting the UPC symbol.
- Barry also donated minutes from 1972 Ad Hoc, Symbol Selection and Code Managment meetings (items 182 through 184 in the artifacts section)
- Details from the timeline were summarized into a descriptive story of how the UPC came to be invented and is presented here.
- Come back and relive the early days of the UPC. We received a donation of 50 "UPC Newsletters," one of the first monthly newsletters to chronicle the industry as it began applying symbols, dealing with a plethora of special product cases, and live scanning in retail stores. You can begin your visit to those days of yore by clicking here.