- On April 3, 2017 the site where the symbol was created by George Laurer in the early 1970s was recognized by the City of Raleigh (artifact 187) and a Plaque (artifact 188) recognizing that was placed in the lobby. The ceremony is available on YouTube.
- Barry Franz, member of the Symbol Selection Committee, donated the documentation of the logic used for selecting the UPC symbol.
- Barry Franz donated minutes from 1972 Ad Hoc, Symbol Selection and Code Managment meetings (items 182 through 184 in the artifacts section). Artifacts 191 through 201 inclue the minutes for interactions that picked the bar coe symbol and the Ad Hoc committee meeting resulting in the symbol's announcement to the industry.
- Details from the timeline were summarized into a descriptive story of how the UPC came to be invented and is presented here.
- Come back and relive the early days of the UPC. We received a donation of 50 "UPC Newsletters," one of the first monthly newsletters to chronicle the industry as it began applying symbols, dealing with a plethora of special product cases, and live scanning in retail stores. You can begin your visit to those days of yore by clicking here.